Prominent multi-office law firm has an immediate opening in our Long Beach office for a Legal Assistant in our Litigation department. This is a heavy litigation desk. The Legal Assistant should have a minimum of 5 years of civil litigation and trial experience in State and Federal Courts. The ideal candidate for this position is extremely organized, has a strong work ethic and attention to detail, exceptional problem solving skills and is comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace.
- Correspond with clients, witnesses, lawyers and paralegals (within the firm and outside), outside vendors to schedule interviews, meetings, and depositions
- Assist with client intake process; coordinate appointments
- Organizes cases by establishing and organizing files; updating attorney calendars; expediting requirements and deadlines; documenting actions.
- Support attorneys with drafting complaints and discovery; preparing and filing discovery requests; assist attorneys in preparing responses to opposing counsel; generating status reports.
- Support litigation attorneys in drafting pleadings; monitoring and obtaining discovery responses; contributing information to the team case review.
- Supports trial proceedings by organizing evidence and exhibits; taking notes; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses arrive as scheduled.
- Conduct research on relevant laws, regulations, and legal articles.
- Gather and arrange evidence and other legal documents for attorney review and case preparation
- Draft correspondence and legal documents
- Get affidavits and other formal statements that may be used as evidence in court
- File exhibits, briefs, appeals and other legal documents with the court or opposing counsel
- Administrative duties may include: scanning, copying, answering and directing phone calls and greeting clients
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor degree preferred or equivalent certification
- Ability to type 70+ words per minute
- Familiarity with MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook
- Depth of understanding of serving, filing and docketing programs, preferably CoreRelate
- Able to take direction and work independently with little or no supervision
- 5 years of experience as a legal assistant in civil litigation
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
Please submit your resume today to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recruiters need not apply.