Outside General Counsel
Daniel A. Cooper serves as outside general counsel for healthcare organizations, real estate groups and closely held businesses to relieve the burden of legal issues they face. He advises individuals who need an attorney to quickly understand their concerns and guide them through day to day issues for a reasonable budget. His approach is one of patience, creativity and kindness with the ability to “turn it on” when warranted.
General Counsel Services include:
- Contract Review and drafting including non-disclosure agreements, business service and associate agreements, asset management agreements and purchase-sale agreements
- Preparing and responding to Demand Letters
- Facilitating and coordinating estate plans for individuals to develop proper business planning
- Basic IP including trademark and copyright registration
- Insurance Coverage analysis and review
- Hiring and managing local counsel
- Risk Management Advice including HIPAA compliance
- Informed consent review and updates
- Social media policy drafting and updating
- Real Estate Due Diligence and lease negotiations
- Representing and preparing professional medical staff for depositions
- Advising and responding to deposition subpoenas for medical, billing, pharmacy and employment records
- Medical Reporting Requirements
Mr. Cooper is considered a doctor’s lawyer and risk manager’s safety net. He has been litigating complex medical matters for over 12 years handling virtually every possible medical scenario and litigation issue. He is currently assigned as lead trial counsel for matters related to medical malpractice, breach of contract, fraud, invasion of privacy, property damage and real estate. He is asked to represent Physicians who have coverage issues, are underinsured, need Cumis Counsel or require a second opinion.
Mr. Cooper has received multiple Super Lawyers Rising Stars awards and in 2019, was awarded a Preeminent AV Rating, which is the highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards.
As a result of COVID-19, Mr. Cooper has been a resource for healthcare clients on privacy and HIPAA related issues due to the expanded use of telehealth. He advises on changes to informed consent forms to account for the increased use of social media. He has been invited to speak at the Southern California Association of Healthcare Risk Management Annual Conference on medical reporting for physician sexual misconduct and presented to the All Cities Network on renegotiation of commercial and residential leases due to the current pandemic.
Mr. Cooper has implemented specific fee based agreements to meet client needs including subscription based legal services, flat fee for service, and other alternative fee arrangements for cost containment.
Mr. Cooper is featured on the websites of the following clients:
- Trial Counsel in March 2020 in which he helped to secure $1,057,737 verdict for physician client at which time it was confirmed defendant breached the contract and his fiduciary duties.
- Obtained complete dismissal for emergency room physician alleged of violating a patient’s advance healthcare directive.
- Successfully represented gastroenterologist whose insurance company was liquidated leaving him without coverage on the verge of trial
- Obtained Judgment for spine surgeon based on the negligent installation of spinal hardware
- Obtained complete reimbursement for funds spent by commercial landlord whose roof was damaged by the conduct of the roofing company.
- Secured Settlement for homeowners against the City of Inglewood for tree root intrusion causing damage to the foundation based on theory of inverse condemnation.
- Secured 6-figure settlement on behalf of real estate investors who asserted claims of fraud and breach of contract against manager of a real estate investment trust
- Secured dismissal of Medical Spa Director who was alleged to have failed to properly manage on-site nursing staff.
- Obtained Preliminary Injunction to stop the non-judicial foreclosure of a long-standing Los Angeles family restaurant
- Negotiated the resolution of a contentious medical spa dissolution on behalf of a nurse.
- Negotiated the complete dismissal of a major apparel retailer in Los Angeles with no money paid to Plaintiff.
- After speaking with Mr. Cooper I knew he was who I needed to advise me. I cannot say enough about Daniel Cooper. He is absolutely everything you would want in an attorney. He is knowledgeable, responsive, fair, genuine, and he takes the time listen. He has responded to all my emails within minutes, even those late at night questions. I would recommend him to any of my friends and family. The best advice I can give you is to give him a call and speak with him, as soon as I spoke with him I knew he was the person I wanted advising and representing me. He came highly recommended from a family member who is also an attorney. My family member has been impressed with Mr. Cooper’s level of service, knowledge of the law, and his rates and has strongly advised me to stick with him for any future needs I might have. If you are in need of an attorney this is the one you need to call, you will instantly understand why I recommend him so highly. The piece of mind I had immediately upon speaking with him was unparalleled. When I made my first phone call to Daniel I had never had to seek help from an attorney before. When I spoke with Daniel he was fantastic. He listened to my very long story, about an hour, and he reassured me that my situation was not unique, and he outlined what steps I needed to take and the different scenarios as to how the situation might play out. Over the next several months I emailed a barrage of questions to him at all hours day and night, which to my surprise he answered within minutes. He would even email me to check in and see if I needed help with anything or had additional questions if he hadn’t heard from me in a while. He genuinely cares about helping people in need of assistance. He is an attorney of outstanding character, knowledge, judgment and morals. – Kim C.
- Mr. Cooper is the most thoughtful, knowledgeable and skilled professional healthcare attorney I have every worked with. As an orthopedic surgeon, having a medico legal partner to help navigate today’s world is one of the most important assets my surgery practice can have. I am grateful Danny routinely goes the extra mile and takes time to explain important concepts. Highly recommend him and his team’s professionalism. – Sanjeev Bhatia, M.D.
- I’ve known Danny Cooper for almost a year and he is great resource for Healthcare related issues, and litigation. I highly recommend him for business owners looking for a quality attorney. – James A.
- I can’t recommend Daniel Cooper enough- he is so thoughtful, knowledgeable and you can tell he really cares about your situation and tries to find the best possible solution. During this COVID-19 situation, my restaurant has been really struggling and he has been by my side every step of the way, checking in, seeing how he can help, and giving great advice. He is definitely the kind of person you want representing you and to be on your side. He is always available and makes a point to follow up on everything he promises. You are in great hands if you choose Daniel Cooper to represent you. – Lisa H.
Mr. Cooper was born in New York City and raised in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles. Outside the office, he enjoys skiing, spending time with his wife Sarah and two year old son Jack. He has climbed Mt. Whitney, and run 3 marathons.
RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- “CALI Award” Wills and Trusts (Highest Grade) (2007)
- “Top Attorney” Pasadena Magazine (2015)
- “Rising Star” Super Lawyers (2017-2018)
- AVVO Rating 10.0
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., 2004)
- Southwestern Law School (J.D., 2007)